Running for Simplicity



I haven’t been running for a while. It’s such a simple thing to do, but it’s also an activity that I can easily forget. When life becomes complicated, simple things tend to be ignored.

Last Sunday afternoon, I decided to put all other things aside and put on my casual wear for some outdoor activities. I jogged along the street in the neighborhood. Soon afterwards, I came to an open ground. There were no other people there. The sun was setting, with rays of light gently showering down upon the grass and trees. I was out there, all by myself, immersed in the stillness of nature, full of positive energy.

I took a deep breath, stretched my arms and legs, and started running. It was such a distant but pleasant sensation all coming back to me.

My past experiences of running kept flashing back. I started running when I was a boy. My mother helped me make a pair of sandbags, and I bound them onto my calves, to add that extra bit of ‘burden’ so that I could gain more strength through running. I quite enjoyed running at that time. Then in one of those days, I grew taller than my elder brother. He wasn’t quite happy about it, but my mother said it was all because I was out for running more often.

I kept running on and off throughout my teenage years and university days. I wouldn’t say I was a great fan for running, but I took it for granted that running was among the few activities that I could do to help maintain my physical fitness. It was a few years back when I was in Hong Kong that I started fully enjoying running again, because there was a Waterfront Park there, and there was a specific path for runners along the Tolo harbor. I wasn’t living very far from there, so cycling to the park and then running along the path became a joyous thing to do, particularly after a whole day of work.

After the Sunday running experience, I wished I could reserve running as part of my normal daily activities. It seems to be a good way to end my working days, and start the evenings afresh. Some people run for fun or physical strength, and others may run for good companionship with friends, whereas I am running for simplicity. 

In a world where procrastination becomes a pastime because of the complexity of a multi-tasking life, running has obviously become a simple but luxurious thing to do, and it certainly helps to simplify not just my life, but also myself. My goals and directions couldn't be clearer throughout running.  



Comments

Popular Posts