Target.


Living in a city as a newcomer, I am often mesmerized by new discoveries.

The bus stop at which I take a bus to go to work is under a big sign of ‘Target’ ( an Australia department chain store). It reminds me on a daily basis where I am heading, and what I am aiming at.

This also reminds me of a story I read many years ago in the New York Times, which was about a Chinese immigrant violinist, playing beautiful and touching melodies at the subways in New York.

He used to be an established violinist in China, but he enjoyed himself and made a good living by being a subway violinist in a ‘foreign’ land. His music was so touching that he could catch every passenger’s attention. Often times beggars were touched, so they emptied their mugs of coins into his violin case, but he in turn put coins and bills back into the beggars’ mugs.

Obviously, he didn’t just do it for money, but he wanted to explore new experiences, and enjoy himself in his new discoveries. He said ‘the meaning of life is to try to get something you don’t have.’ He also said ‘I don’t really have exact goals, but I have direction.’

Well, for me, wandering around this new city of Melbourne, flashing back and forth alongside my past memories, present discoveries, and future mysteries, I also wonder if I really have goals.

I reckon I would leave my goals to God in His great arrangement, but I would manage my directions. I guess 'Man Proposes, and God Disposes'.

A friend of mine wrote to me in an email mentioning positive energy and how wonderful life could be if it was full of discoveries on a daily basis. Well, living a life in a city as a newcomer and a tourist, indeed, I am constantly surprised to see how much life could offer. I am also appreciative of the ‘positive energy’ I could obtain on a daily basis from the Sun, the new discoveries around me, and the synergy I could develop with my family, friends, and the many blessings that are bestowed upon me, no matter where I am.

'Target' is not a destination, but a stop in life or a pause on a busy day, where I could enjoy, envisage, free up my mind, simplify myself and do a bit of self-dscovery, so as to look ever forward.

Note: This blog entry was composed on the short bus ‘journey’ from Glen Waverley SC to Monash University on a Friday morning.

Comments

Popular Posts