The 'Present'


The last few days in Hong Kong were hectic, but they were also full of unforgettable moments, one of which was when I received a ‘present’ from a colleague of mine. It was a pencil, but it was a pencil unlike any others.

This was a well-designed and very stylish pencil. It has a white dove on it, as an ornament. The flying white dove stands in good contrast with the black colour and the still/calmness of the pencil itself. In addition, the white dove has only one eye open, and the other closed.

My colleague explained this present to me (in Cantonese). She said that she had noticed that I had a piece of paper adhered to my office computer desk, on which I wrote: No Worries, Just Write! She said that she was impressed by this, and that she was particularly impressed by the words ‘Just Write’.

Therefore, she bought a pencil for me as a present to symbolize ‘writing’, as I was about to depart from Hong Kong. She also told me that the white dove stands for peace. She then told me that the white dove has only one eye open and the other eye closed.

I was curious why this was so, and then she explained to me that, when I got tired or exhausted in writing, I could simply close my eyes, and take a rest, and meditate, and think about what to do next. A white dove with a closed eye may also indicate relaxation and enjoyment.

I don’t know the exact meaning of this white dove, by my colleague’s explanations certainly impressed me, and made good sense to me. I was thoroughly amazed by the thoughtfulness and the good wishes of my colleague.

Hong Kong is just such a place where you think everybody is busy and minding their own business, but when you take your time and experience this place with your heart and an open mind, and when you get in touch with the local people on a daily basis, you will find how fascinating this place is, and how amazing its people are.

The pencil, the way it was presented to me, and the wishes that come with it, all put together, have brightened my last few days in Hong Kong. I could feel the peace and joy that it has brought me, and I treasure the ‘present’ dearly.

Comments

Popular Posts