In fond memories of a fair dinkum Aussie mate, Mr. Robert Daw

The 9th of October 2008 was a day of darkness and silence. When the sun set, I felt so solemn that I feared that the sun would never rise again, because it was the day when my best friend ever, Mr. Robert Daw, went to be with the Heavenly Father.

Mr. Robert Daw is a fair dinkum Aussie man, a good neighbor and friend, a helping hand with irreplaceable talents, a fatherly figure with wisdom, love, and a handyman with a huge shed full of improvised gears, tools and inspirations. Mr. Robert Daw is also a hero, a champion, a legend, and above all, a “gift” to us from the Heavenly Father.

During the precious days at Ranmere Way, I enjoyed my fair share of this exceptional man in the morning walks, afternoon teas, or dinners, family gatherings and Bible studies, and occasional excursions and adventures to his bee hives, to fishing ports, and more often, in his well and truly amazing world: his huge backyard shed.

It seems every man needs a shed in Australia. So, Mr. Robert Daw helped and instructed me, as a newcomer, to build my very own first shed in life. I had built model ships, airplanes, and houses when I was a boy, but I had never dreamed of building a real man’s shed later in my life. With the help and guidance from Mr. Robert Daw, I also extracted my very first jar of honey, turned my very first wood bowl and plate, and restored my confidence when I was down and out. I acquired so many skills that I would have otherwise never acquired if I was not "apprenticed" to Mr. Robert Daw, but I still have an uncherished dream. How I wish I could go fishing again with Mr. Robert Daw and catch my very first salmon, and share the joys and thrills with him!

Mr. Robert Daw is an unyielding spirit. He helped me gain and strengthen my faith, and he extended my life by showing me a Holy new world. Amazingly, Mr. Robert Daw also learned something from me. That was the Chinese equivalent of “How are you?” – Ni hao ma?. Ever since he learned this greeting, he would greet with Ni hao ma? to every Chinese-looking person we came across in our morning walks around the neighborhood.

When we were walking on Langford Avenue back to Ranmere way towards the end of our morning walks, Mr. Robert Daw would wittingly say to me that “This place looks familiar”, and I would respond by saying “Yes, this place looks very familiar”, and then we would both laugh.

On the 10th of October 2008, the sun did rise, and I could recall Mr. Robert Daw saying “Every day is a beautiful day.” And then, all those fond and unmatchable memories with Mr. Robert Daw came back to me again. I knew the presence of the Heavenly Father would always be tangible in Ranmere Way, and elsewhere in the world. If only I were not in Hong Kong working bum-up-head-down (an expression that I learned from Mr. Robert Daw), if only I were not flying to Toronto for a business trip, and if only I could come back to Ranmere Way and greet Mr. Robert Daw with Ni hao ma?

This place looks familiar, doesn't it? Please come home, Mr. Robert Daw, and rest in peace.

Comments

Anonymous said…
天地间有这么多的生物
生来又都死去
死后化作泥和水
煤和石头
草木和鲜花
我们所爱的人死后
一定化作了那种
蓝色的小花
有着金色的花芯
它在黎明时生长出来
对我们说
我始终与你同在
Anonymous said…
hello


just signed up and wanted to say hello while I read through the posts


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.

Popular Posts